Most people bounce back quickly and resume their regular activities with little trouble after an ankle surgery. One of the key things to helping your recovery go smoothly is using the best ankle brace post-surgery. If you do not know what to wear after ankle surgery, then check out our list of the six best ankle braces to use after an operation. Each one has been selected for its ability to help stabilize your foot and transition you back to normal life smoothly and comfortably. So whatever your needs, we hope our review helps.
Best Tall Surgical Cast Walking Boot
Aircast Tall Walking Boot
The Aircast tall walking boot is the best ankle brace after ankle surgery because the shell surrounds the whole leg. Together with the adjustable air cell and the two nylon straps to hold the back and front shells, the whole lower leg, ankle, and foot are protected, keeping movement at a minimum.
- The polyethylene and polypropylene make the boot shell durable
- You can wear it for both the left and right leg
- Has a breathable design for user comfort
- Clients who got the wrong size did not get the relief they expected
Braceability Tall Pneumatic Walking Boot
Skip the fear of accidentally moving your ankles that had just undergone surgery by wearing the Braceability tall pneumatic walking boot. Press the red button in front of the brace to inflate the cushion kept in place by five thick straps and plastic reinforcement on the side of the leg. When you are ready to walk, the boot has a rocker bottom to follow the normal foot movement when walking.
- Highly breathable because of the lesser shell covering
- Convenient process in inflating the cushion
- Has a shock-absorbing insole
- The boot shell only covers the bottom of the feet and side of the legs
- Support highly relies on the air cell and the straps
Best Short Post-Operative Walking Boot
ExoArmor Super Light Short Ankle Brace
The ExoArmor is the best brace to use when you are already a bit comfortable in moving and do not feel excruciating pain. The boot covers only the shin, ankle, and heel, which gives enough protection to the surgery area without the discomfort of covering the whole lower leg. The ExoArmor is also lightweight at 1.5-lb to 2.4-lb only, depending on the size, so your ankle won’t be strained when you walk.
- Has an easy-to-inflate liner
- Three thick straps hold the shell and the liner together
- Has a rounded and anti-skid sole for comfortable and safe walks
- Some clients commented on getting poorly fitting boots, so checking the size guide closely is a must
United Ortho Short Air Cam Walker Boot
The United Ortho short air cam walker boot is a joy to wear because of its sleek look. The boot has a plastic sole, plastic and steel side reinforcements, and three wide straps to hold the air-filled cushion tightly. Aside from the assurance of ankle protection, the pitch black color of the parts makes the boot beautiful. You can proudly walk in comfort as the boot has a rounded sole and shock-absorbing insole.
- Sleek and beautiful pitch-black color
- Comes with a user guide
- The side reinforcements are infused with steel to make it sturdier and durable
- Has a special and specific size measurement requiring clients to measure their feet instead of using shoe sizes
Best Night Splint Ankle Brace
Brace Direct Sleeping Boot
Tall and short ankle brace boots will keep your ankle protected during the day and as you do errands. But like many foot conditions, correction, healing, and recovery are achieved faster when there is a 24/7 solution. The Brace Direct sleeping boot is a reliable splint you can use at night when you sleep. Its leg shell is covered with a cushion, and there are straps to keep the ankle comfortable and unmoved when you sleep. The boot remains breathable despite the protection.
- You can adjust the velcro strap to get the perfect fit
- Easy to clean and washable
- Has a fixed 90-degree position
- Fits both the left and right leg
- Some users experienced having the wrong size and having no support from the splint
Pro-Tec Night Splint
There are ankle braces designed for people on the go, but know that if you also need to keep your ankle unmoved when you sleep, there are night splints you can use. The Pro-Tec night splint is an example of an ankle support brace for sleeping. The brace has a cushion where the ankle can lay comfortably. Even if you unconsciously move, the straps of the splint will keep your lower leg in place.
- Has a sturdy polyester brace
- The cushion is removable and washable
- The splint is lightweight.
- The cushion doesn’t promise breathability, which may cause heat to form on the legs
The best ankle brace for after surgery will stabilize your foot and help you transition back to an active life. There are many different ankle braces, so deciding which one is right for you can be difficult. We've highlighted six different ankle braces that we think are the best options for post-operative recovery. Each ankle brace has its own set of pros and cons, so make sure to read up on them before purchasing.
We hope this article helped give you information about the best ankle braces for recovering from surgery. If you need more research, feel free to read through more of our reviews and buying guides to learn more.