The best ankle braces significantly help reduce the risk of injuries, but they can also restrict your movements. As a result, it's hard to decide whether you should wear an ankle brace or not, especially if it means you'll have less freedom to showcase your full potential.
Fortunately, not all ankle braces are like that. Some braces have less stiff construction and adjustable features. This is the perfect ankle solution for those looking for injury prevention while still living actively.
Take a look at this roundup to get an idea of what's available out there. We compiled five ankle braces designed to be as comfortable and mobile as possible while still providing the support you need!
What Makes a Good Preventive Ankle Brace?
Before we get to the roundup, here's a quick Q&A section on preventive ankle braces.
Can an ankle brace eliminate the risk of injury?
No, it can't. However, it can reduce the risk of developing ankle instability and other conditions that may limit your performance.
Are ankle braces for prevention different from recovery braces?
Preventive ankle braces have softer materials and more adjustable straps. On the other hand, ankle braces for recovery are made from stiffer materials and have less room for movement.
What are the most flexible ankle braces?
The most suitable ankle braces for injury prevention are compression socks and hinged ankle braces.
What should I look for in a preventive ankle brace?
Look for the type of ankle brace, adjustable features, and durability. You will wear these braces for a long time, so they need to withstand the abuse of physical activity.
The 4 Best Ankle Braces With Adjustable Features for Injury Prevention
You may or may not have had ankle injuries in the past. Regardless of history, you will need an ankle solution that can prevent a recurrence. That said, you also don't want t wear something restrictive. But is there an ankle solution that comprises all of these qualities?
We say yes to that! Here are four of the best ankle braces for sprains and other injury prevention.
1) Bodyprox Adjustable Ankle Support Brace and Wrap
Let's kick off this list with a strong candidate. The Bodyprox Adjustable Ankle Brace and Wrap is made for injury prevention and recovery. It's also considered one of the most flexible ankle braces available, and here's why.
Type of Ankle Brace
This is a lace-up ankle brace without laces and comprises figure-8 straps. It's made of neoprene, polyester, nylon, and spandex. Additionally, it's available in a universal size, suitable to fit up to 11 inches of foot arch circumference.
- Open Heel Design - The open heel design frees the core parts of your feet naturally.
- Three Adjustable Straps - You can adjust three straps with premium hook-and-loop Velcro closure, depending on the compression level you need. It also incorporates a non-slip silicone wave design to keep the brace steady on your ankle.
- Intended Use - You can use this ankle brace in various sports such as football, volleyball, soccer, basketball, and running. Furthermore, you can wear them comfortably in shoes for everyday use.
- It's not the most durable ankle brace available, but it can last long enough with proper ankle brace maintenance.
- The three adjustable straps can be hard to detach.
- The brace will wear out faster than expected if you get the wrong size.
- It doesn't come in pairs, so you have to buy another one if you need braces for both feet.
2) Bitly Plantar Fasciitis Compression Socks
Meanwhile, here's another type of ankle brace designed for everyday use. The Bitly Plantar Fasciitis Compression Sleeve is the go-to ankle solution if you want to prevent injuries and skin irritation.
Type of Ankle Brace
This ankle brace is a compression sleeve. It's thinner, lightweight, and more flexible than other types. Concerned about fashion? No problem. They come in assorted colors to match your attire.
Plus, compression socks fit in shoes easily, although they don't provide as much support as stiff braces. However, this is ideal if you just want to reduce the risk.
Technically, this ankle brace doesn't have any special adjustable features. Instead, the construction itself is made stretchable and flexible for various footwear.
This is an excellent solution if you're a busy person who doesn't have time for meticulous ankle care but wants to prevent injury.
- Customers nearly have zero complaints about the quality. Some can use it for weeks to months. So it's safe to say that these socks can last; they may even last longer with proper care and maintenance.
- Since it's made from thin material, it might not provide you with the ankle support you need. Remember, sleeves work better with minor to zero injuries.
- Some customers think it feels too tight and uncomfortable.
3) Zenith Athletics Premium Adjustable Lace-Up Ankle Brace
The Zenith Ankle Brace features the traditional lace-up brace look with maximum ankle protection for sports lovers. Here's what you can expect from this ankle solution.
Type of Ankle Brace
This one is a bilateral lace-up ankle brace with a longer structure. It's made from nylon and neoprene materials applied with double stitches, pads, and ventilation. A front lace and some strapping complete the look and function of this brace.
- Figure 8 Strapping - This customizable ankle brace features figure-8 straps. It provides 360-degree ankle support, allowing you to adjust the brace to your most comfortable level.
- Customers praise this sturdy brace for withstanding the impact of intense physical activities, with or without shoes. Thanks to its good quality, you might be able to rely on this brace for a long time.
- It's quite difficult to find a good size for those who have skinny and smaller feet.
- Some people receive ankle braces with missing laces.
- It can also be difficult to put on, especially the Velcro strapping.
4) Active Ankle T2 Hinged Ankle Brace
Lastly, the Active Ankle T2 Ankle Brace is a sports-oriented ankle solution to prevent injuries and keep you moving on the court to your heart's content.
Type of Ankle Brace
This one is a hinged ankle brace. It's constructed from semi-rigid plastic material with a quick-fit adjustable strap. The manufacturer made it less bulky and sleeker than traditional hinged braces, incorporating a lightweight and custom molded EVA padding to ensure comfort. Furthermore, it's bilateral so that it can fit on both feet.
- Adjustable Quick-Fit Strap - You can adjust the single strap to find the right amount of tightness, comfort, and mobility.
- Flexible Hinge - This feature allows you to move in full range while also letting the rigid part protect your ankle from injuries. The best thing about hinged ankle braces is that they move with and not against your ankle and shoes; you can move freely and comfortably.
- Most hinged braces are durable due to their semi-rigid structure. This one is sturdy enough to last and provides adequate support while playing high-impact sports like volleyball or basketball.
- Some users find it too bulky and uncomfortable, while others have durability issues.
Move Freely and Avoid Ankle Injury
Be conscious of ankle injuries, especially if you live a busy and active life. A small accident can trigger a major injury, so you need to minimize the risk as much as possible.
One way to do this is by wearing an adjustable ankle brace. It won't restrict your movements but still provide the support you need.
Browse our website for more reviews and articles on the best ankle braces after getting a sprain or other ankle injuries.