Ankle sprains are common injuries in the world of soccer. They can occur due to different motions, and they're usually accompanied by swelling, pain, and difficulty in walking. If you want to speed up your recovery time and win your games without any pain, you should take advantage of the following seven best ankle brace for soccer players.
Each ankle brace on this list has been selected for its ability to deliver optimal support and protection. So whether you're recovering from an ankle sprain or just looking to prevent one from happening, be sure to check out our recommendations for the best ankle brace for soccer!
DonJoy Performance Ankle Brace for Soccer Players
This brand has the best knee brace for soccer. You will love the DonJoy performance ankle brace because of the simplicity of how you will wear it. The ankle brace is made of molded plastic with an adjustable strap on the arch of the feet and ankle. Both straps are adjustable so that you can get the proper compression for the injury-prone Achilles tendon and ankle. By wearing the braces, you can prevent yourself from having Achilles tendonitis, ankle sprain, and any stress fractures.
These ankle braces from DonJoy Performance are also lightweight. They are 30% lighter than their counterparts. This feature makes them stand out as it supports the need for speed of soccer players. The design of these braces is also aesthetically pleasing and is available in black and white.
- Easy to wear
- Easy to clean because of its plastic design
- Cuts off the hassle of multiple straps and laces
- 30% lighter than its counterparts
- Made with soft ethylene-vinyl acetate lining
- Available in black and white colors
- Pricier than its counterpart
Cramer Ankle Protection - Soccer Sports
The layer of support and protection it provides for your feet sets the Cramer ankle protection apart from its competitors. It has a lace layer you can tighten to your comfort. After that, you can wrap around the foot arch to the ankle as another layer of compression. The third compression comes from a third strap wrapped around the ankles. The design mimics how athletes wrap their feet using a traditional bandage without consuming much time. For comfort, the ankle protection has a heel hole to keep the area cool, allow foot mobility, and avoid irritation in the area because of friction.
- You'll get ultimate support because of the layers of compression
- Available in white and black colors
- Has a layer of silicone printing to avoid the slipping of the brace despite movement when playing sports
- It can be bulkier than its counterparts because of the layers of protection
Ossur Figure 8 Soccer Ankle Brace
A figure 8 ankle brace is a famous design because it mimics athletes' bandages. The difference when using the Ossur Figure 8 ankle brace is the convenience of using only two straps to achieve the compression and protection your ankle needs. This is made possible because of the laced layer underneath the straps.
Because of the design, ankle inversion and eversion when playing soccer are minimized. You'll still feel comfortable because of the open and padded heel design. Your feet won't feel overheated despite the layers because the Ossur ankle braces are breathable.
- Has two layers of ankle compression and protection
- Made of breathable material for comfort
- Has a finger loop on the top part, so you can easily pull it up and slip it on your feet when you wear it
- Has a unique way of determining your size. You need to measure the ankle circumference diagonally, up around the ankle, and down around the heels.
Z Athletics Lace-up Ankle Brace
One of the main characteristics you would want to check when purchasing any product is durability. Product strength becomes a top priority when you buy it for your safety, and you'll be using it often. The Z Athletics lace-up ankle brace takes durability seriously as their ankle braces are made of neoprene and nylon.
Neoprene is known to remain in its excellent state despite flexing and twisting, which will often occur in playing soccer. On the other hand, nylon keeps the brace elastic despite its strength. The seams of the Z Athletics braces are double stitched to ensure they can serve you for a long time.
- Has a lace-up layer, a figure 8 strap, and another strap for the ankle to ensure stability and protection
- The nylon and neoprene materials work together to keep your feet dry, odor-free, and feeling comfortable
- Bulkier than its counterparts because of the layers of lace and straps
Zensah Compression Ankle Brace
Ankle braces' functions include ensuring that your ankle will stay protected during strenuous exercises and sports like soccer, volleyball, basketball, and even swimming. If you suffer any foot injury, you can rely on ankle braces too for foot compression to improve blood flow, avoid swelling, and decrease the pain you feel. These functions are satisfied when you use the Zensah compression ankle brace.
The braces are compression socks, with no laces or straps, but they have compression in the foot arch, ankle, and heels.
- Worn like socks, but you can still get the compression and ankle support you need
- You'll enjoy the different colors: black, beige, grey, neon pink, and neon yellow
- Made with breathable and moisture-wicking materials to keep your feet dry, comfortable, and odor-free
- You can move with more flexibility using these braces because of the absence of straps and laces
- Not the best ankle brace if you are aiming for the immobility of the feet
Mcdavid Ankle Support
The challenge in using a multilayer ankle support is the added weight it gives to the feet, and as a soccer player, it can slow you down. McDavid ankle support knows this challenge and addresses it by using polyester material, which is more lightweight. Despite that, the ankle braces still fulfill their function because of a layer of laces for ankle compression, a figure 6 strap, and a top strap to secure the brace.
Another great thing about the McDavid braces is the colors—if you want a break from the classic black shade, you can always go for grey!
- Uses lightweight materials
- Has a padded lining for comfort and better fit
- Has visually pleasing colors: black and grey
- The closed heel design may be inconvenient for athletes who are used to an open-heel design
- Considers both ankle and shoe measurement in determining the brace size you will get
Ultra Ankle Brace for Athletes
If you are worried about getting the wrong size of ankle braces and feeling uncomfortable instead of relieved, you are not alone. Great news because the Ultra ankle braces for athletes and soccer players are made with thermoplastic resin and manufactured using softshell technology.
Because of thermoplastic resin's malleability and Ultra's technology, the braces slowly follow the shape of your ankles and feet after wearing it for 4-6 hours. With that, it is a must to wear the same brace for each foot to have the proper fit every time. To wear it, attach the top strap above the ankle and the straps for the foot arch.
- Highly malleable and follows the shape of your feet
- Easy to wear
- Easy to clean
- Available in white and black colors for the aesthetics
- Getting the right size needs extra attention by checking the circumference of the ankle diagonally down from the heel up and around the ankles to the heel again, plus your shoe size.
As a soccer player, you know that the game can go from perfect to a nightmare when you suffer an injury. One minute you're making a goal, and the next, you're on the ground with an ankle sprain. Soccer players are no stranger to ankle injuries, so it's important to protect your ankles from future sprains or tears. There are many different types of ankle braces on the market, so we hope that this review will make the search easier.
Each ankle brace has its own set of benefits and drawbacks, so be sure to read through each description before making your purchase. But rest assured, knowing that whichever ankle brace you choose will undoubtedly help give you an edge!