Ankle injuries are common among volleyball players, especially those who play aggressively. Ankle braces can help protect your ankle from injury and ensure that you stay in top playing form. The best volleyball ankle braces are also great for minimizing further damage to ankle sprains. So if you're looking for some pro-level support while playing volleyball, check out our list of the four best ankle braces for optimal compression and support.
What to consider when buying ankle braces?
Good ankle braces should keep your ankle from rolling excessively but allow it to move naturally in all directions.
If you're recuperating from an ankle injury, you'll need a brace that prevents your ankles from further inflaming while ensuring healthy blood flow and support.
You'll want a brace that allows your feet to breathe while you're playing. Most ankle braces on the market are made of breathable fabric, but they're not created equal.
Some braces have pro-level performance but take a long time to put on. If you know you'll be irritated by the process of wearing it, search for a brace that straps on and off quickly.
As a volleyball player, you'll be jumping and moving in short bursts, so choosing a lightweight ankle brace is ideal for helping you move efficiently.
Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer
The Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer is a lightweight and low-profile ankle brace that can help you keep your ankle stabilized during high-impact movements. Its stabilizing straps are angled for a better fit and molded to follow the shape of your ankle. They form a figure-eight pattern that helps to control the joint.
The elastic cuff keeps the laces and stabilizing straps in place while protecting from sudden movements that might cause the ankle to roll. In addition, the CoolFlex pad along the tongue and heel provides a great level of comfort. This ankle brace is perfect for anyone who wants both comfort and support.
- The ankle is protected and supported by figure-eight stabilizing straps from all angles.
- The nylon boot provides robust durability.
- The laces help adjust the fit for better comfort.
- It takes time to put on due to the laces.
- They’re a bit pricey compared to most ankle braces on the market.
- The area above the heel can be a little bulky.
McDavid Level 3 Ankle Brace With Straps
This sleek and stylish ankle brace is perfect for athletes who want to protect their ankles without compromising performance. The McDavid Level 3 Ankle Brace with Straps features adjustable laces and cuffs that provide a customized fit, while the integrated posterior and anterior stabilizers help prevent or protect injuries.
In addition, the single-layer polyester fabric helps to keep your feet cool and dry during competition. So whether you're hitting the court or the field, make sure you're doing it in style with the McDavid Level 3 Ankle Brace With Straps.
- The ankle is protected and supported by figure-six stabilizing straps.
- It's lightweight due to its fabric.
- It has good lateral support.
- The design is sleek and stylish.
- Again, lace ankle braces can take time to wear and remove.
- The laces are slightly bigger compared to the Med Spec ASO.
- Their sizing chart tends to be inaccurate.
Zensah Ankle Support
The Zensah ankle support provides focused support for active ankle pain relief. The 3D Geo Tech Ribbing Technology provides graduated compression to help improve circulation and reduce inflammation. Additionally, the compression ankle brace helps prevent injuries by stabilizing the medial ankle. This ankle brace is the perfect choice for athletes looking for high-quality relief and support without the fuss of laces. Thanks to their advanced technology, the Zensah ankle support will provide the relief and support you need.
- It's easy to wear and remove.
- The fabric is breathable and gives great compression even without straps.
- It's more sleek and lightweight compared to the previously reviewed ankle braces.
- The design allows for unrestricted motion.
- It's less effective at preventing injuries.
- Preferably not recommended for major ankle conditions.
- Protection and support are not on par with lace-strap systems.
Sleeve Stars Ankle Brace
If you're looking for relief from an ankle injury, you may want to try the Sleeve Stars Ankle Brace. This product is designed to provide customized compression that can help improve blood circulation and provide pain relief. It can also ease foot discomfort associated with heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Additionally, the sleeve's material is cool and breathable, so you can wear it all day without feeling sweaty or uncomfortable.
- It's easy to strap on and take off.
- Breathable fabric and quickly absorbs moisture.
- Snug fit because of its support strap.
- Ankle sleeves give more freedom of motion.
- The support strap may defeat the purpose of wearing this type of ankle brace.
- It has little to no lateral support.
- Lower levels of support and compression compared to Eva-framed braces.
Our Top Pick
Out of the four products we reviewed, the Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer takes the top spot for overall protection and support for high-impact sports such as volleyball. It's the best brace for ankle sprain injuries overall and prevents further damage.
The McDavid Level 3 Ankle Brace falls second because of its figure-six strapping, which is not ideal for sudden horizontal digs. But other than that, it's the best brace for high ankle sprain injuries.
And finally, the Zensah and Sleeve Stars are ideal for athletes who prefer lighter ankle braces. Slip-on braces feel great and more natural on the ankles. The compression of these braces focuses around the lateral collateral ligament complex (the ligaments connecting your Fibula to the Talus.) So it's the best ankle brace for medial ankle sprain injuries.
Be sure to check out our other reviews for more information on the best ankle braces for your needs.