Sports injuries are unprecedented. No matter how conditioned you are, in the heat of the game, one wrong move and in seconds you can be on the floor clutching your knees from pain. In physical and contact sports, injuries are expected and part of the game. The road to recovery can be long and painful.
Furthermore, getting back to your usual strength and condition after a long break from the game is difficult. Most athletes find that getting their groove back on is the hardest part of recovery. There's always the harrowing feeling that it can happen again. But safety gear can help you play like your usual and give you extra protection against further injury.
In this blog, we've picked the best ankle brace for basketball after a sprain and other injuries. Let's look at the features of each ankle brace and see the best for your needs.
ARYSE – IFAST Ankle Stabilizer
- The ARYSE – IFAST ankle stabilizer is a popular ankle brace for basketball and for other sports. You can use this brace for basketball, volleyball, football, biking, skateboarding, and even cheerleading.
- The ankle brace has sizes available for men and women, ranging from small to double extra-large sizes. Moreover, it has three colorways, and you have the option to buy it in pairs or singles, depending on your needs.
- The ARYSE – IFAST has an exoskeleton that protects your foot from unwanted rolls and slips that may cause injuries. The exoskeleton is lightweight and low profile, so it fits inside your shoes and feels natural to the feet.
- The level of support for this brace is customizable. Furthermore, the ARYSE uses Functional Anatomical Stabilizing Technology (FAST), which allows the brace to adapt to your movement for total protection.
- The sizing chart provided by the brand is wrong. Many customers report getting the size recommended by the chart, but it doesn't fit them right. We recommend getting a brace one size up from the size chart provided by the brand.
Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace
- The Ultra Zoom Brace is the popular choice when it comes to ankle braces for basketball players. These ankle braces are best for ankle injury prevention, and they feel comfortable on the feet even after long hours of playing.
- The Ultra Zoom is a rigid ankle brace that gives extra support to your ankles. Unlike other brands with rigid but stiff braces, the supportive brace does not limit your natural movements.
- The brace uses a soft shell material that fits the form of your ankle perfectly. The soft shell also provides cushioning to dampen the strain your heels and ankles receive to prevent ankle sprain and other forms of injury.
- This is a strap-on brace, so it does take more time and effort to pull this on and off. The Velcro straps are durable and are sure to hold their place as you play. Most importantly, this ankle brace is known for its durability and will last you for years of use.
- The Ultra Zoom is bulky compared to other braces. You can wear this in your shoes, but you’ll have to wear shoes that are a size up your usual, or it will be too tight.
- The shell on the heel can be slippery, especially when your feet are wet. Make sure to wear socks when using this ankle brace.
Cramer Active Ankle T2 Ankle Brace
- The Cramer Active Ankle T2 ankle brace offers a high level of protection with its quick-fit single strap that is customizable to fit low and high-profile shoes.
- Each pack of the Cramer T2 ankle brace only contains one protective brace, but it perfectly fits both the left and right feet.
- The Cramer T2 is sleek and less bulky than other basketball ankle braces with exoskeletons. It almost feels weightless to touch, which makes it perfect for athletes who are easily distracted by gear on their feet.
- The rigid brace has a custom molder EVA padding that effectively wraps the curves of your feet for maximum protection and comfort. In addition, it has a bilateral anatomical hinge that allows a full range of up and down motions so you can move without causing more damage to your healing joints.
- According to customers, the overall quality of the product meets their expectations. However, it takes a long time to get in touch with customer service and get replacements for defective items.
Mueller Lite Ankle Brace
- The Mueller Lite ankle brace for basketball was developed by Mueller Sports Medicine, a trusted brand for over 60 years. The brand is committed to helping reduce and prevent ankle pain in sporting injuries.
- The ankle brace has a hard shell design, ensuring it will fit any shoe without the awkward, bulky feeling. It is also lightweight and promotes vertical mobility without restrictions while protecting your ankles from overextending, which may cause tears, further injuries, and even more pain.
- The ankle brace has semi-rigid padding to protect your feet and ankle from external impacts, yet it's still comfortable to wear. The brace is made from polypropylene, foam, and nylon, all durable materials that make this ankle brace long-lasting.
- The shell of the ankle support brace is made from hard plastic. Some people find this uncomfortable, and the edge of the hard plastic can cause cuts on the skin. In addition, though you are not restricted with your vertical mobility, the hard plastic can disrupt your lateral movements.
It’s easy to find ankle braces for basketball on sale in local stores and online marketplaces, but it's hard to pick one that’s truly effective and worth your money. We hope these four picks help you recover and protect from further injuries. They’re all great, but if we had to pick the best basketball brace from these four, our verdict goes to the ARYSE – IFAST ankle braces.
Its exoskeleton provides optimal protection from discomfort. The level of support is highly customizable so that you can wear it according to your needs and preference. But among the choices, this is the most expensive one. If you're looking for a more budget-friendly brace that can compare to ARYSE, the Cramer Active Ankle T2 might be the best for you.
All these braces have their merits—it all depends on your preferences. For more in-depth reviews on ankle braces, foot support, and other foot safety gear, subscribe to our blog today.