Foot and ankle injuries are common in people who play sports. According to a study, these injuries happen mostly around athletes who play volleyball, basketball, football, and soccer. Needless to say, people who are active in sporting activities are prone to ankle injuries. It can happen anytime, and it can even happen on the most important game day of your life. That is why it is important that you have the best ankle brace for sports on hand—just in case you need it.
If you are an athlete, you might want to consider investing in a good ankle brace. It doesn't matter if you have been injured before or have yet to experience an injury. Wearing ankle braces will help you reduce the risk of injury or damage to a reoccurring ankle sprain that might hinder you from playing at your best. There are many different types of braces available on the market today; some offer more stability than others, depending on the type of sport being played. The goal is to find the best ankle support for sports without limiting mobility or performance.
Top Recommendations for the Best Ankle Support
1. Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizers
An overall great choice for an ankle brace is the Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer. This ankle brace is designed to compress your ankle to support and stabilize your feet. The ASO Ankle Stabilizer helps you maintain the correct position for your ankle to avoid any injuries. This brand is the most common ankle support for people who play basketball.
- The stabilizing straps found above the ankle are improved for support and comfort. The straps wrap around your ankle in a figure eight to help stabilize it.
- Elastic cuffs are placed around the edge to keep the stabilizing straps in place. These cuffs also help strengthen the upper boot of your feet to avoid ankle rolls.
- It uses CoolFlex padding that provides the ultimate comfort for the top of your foot and heel.
- It has an adaptive fit. You can use the ankle brace on your left or right foot.
- It is made from ballistic nylon that offers major strength and durability.
- If you are used to throwing your clothes in the washer, it may not be a good thing for the Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizers. Machine washing these ankle braces will make the material shrink, making your feet uncomfortable over time. Hand washing this product is a must to maintain its fit.
- If you are constantly jumping (like while playing volleyball), the straps will lose their grip after a while. If you want a secure grip on the laces, you can add an extension to tighten the support.
- The size of the boot is bigger than the standard size. As a result, female athletes often find it too bulky.
2. AYRSE IFAST Ankle Brace
IFAST, also known as Internal Functional Anatomic Stabilizing Technology, is an ankle brace that uses a lightweight material called polyurethane. Polyurethane is a kind of plastic that can be designed to be flexible or firm. The AYRSE IFAST uses this plastic for the ankle brace's exoskeleton, which gives the ankle's ligament system extra support. AYRSE IFAST is our choice for the best ankle brace to prevent sprains.
- The exoskeleton acts as an artificial ligament that allows a person to move their ankle in a full range of motion.
- It has customizable support, which helps you wear the brace comfortably.
- There are sizes available for both men and women.
- The exoskeleton only weighs 4 ounces. It is lightweight, thin, but durable and does not feel bulky even with shoes on.
- These ankle braces are best worn when running, and are effective on flat and uneven terrain.
- The neoprene sleeve of the ARYSE IFAST blocks moisture control with some shoes, which might cause blistering on the feet.
- Removing the neoprene sleeves will prevent your feet from blistering but create pressure points around your feet which may be uncomfortable. You can compensate for the absence of the sleeve by wearing thick socks, but you will feel the bulkiness of the material.
3. Ultra Zoom Ankle Braces
The Ultra Zoom ankle brace is built to improve your performance and get your gameplay to top levels without risking injuries. The Ultra Zoom ankle braces have a unique design appropriate for your gameplay and previous injuries. Depending on your needs, you can choose ankle braces 7, 8, and 10 inches long. Whatever your needs, there is the best ankle brace out there for you with the Ultra Zoom line.
- It includes a shell padding for your feet for more comfortable wear.
- Unlike lace designs which restrict motions, the Ultra Zoom's hinged design allows athletes to move freely. This ankle brace is best for the player who jumps a lot because it promotes natural movements. There are no hindrances for you to achieve explosive jumps and high verticals.
- The different heights of the hinged ankle braces are appropriate for people who want to avoid injury, play with a minor injury, or prevent an injury from happening again.
- The design of the brace is effective for longer unlike a lace-up ankle brace, which loses its grip over time. So you don't have to worry about the Ultra Zoom’s fit while you are playing.
- Athletes must wear shoes with a big opening when wearing an Ultra Zoom ankle brace. Wearing shoes with a limited range with this ankle brace will make it feel too tight on the feet.
- If the circumference of your ankle is larger than average, the velcro straps of the hinge design may be too short for you.
- Its price is considerably higher than other brands of ankle braces.
4. POWERLIX Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeve
The POWERLIX ankle brace uses a specialized fabric that provides the ultimate comfort and support for your ankles. POWERLIX may not look like the strongest ankle brace for players because of the fabric, but rest assured that its technology gives you full protection, pain-free ankles, while also keeping your feet warm and dry.
- The fabric used for the POWERLIX is soft and comfortable.
- It provides pain relief from muscle fatigue, sprains, plantar fasciitis, and other ankle injuries.
- The compression of the ankle sleeves promotes good blood circulation.
- It has different size options. Surely, there is a perfect fit for you.
- It is sold in pairs, unlike other ankle braces which are sold individually. As a result, the POWERLIX is great value for money.
- It can be too thick when worn with socks.
- Dust, animal hair, and small debris stick to these compression socks, which may trigger allergies.
- The socks are unisex yet come in different sizes. However, some users report that the sleeves are still too loose even when they pick the smallest size.
- Since the fabric is stretchable and elastic, it can loosen when worn many times. Unlike ankle braces with straps and hinges, you cannot adjust the POWERLIX compression sleeve.
In general, if you are a person who is involved in a lot of physical activity, having an ankle brace is important. It not only prevents ankle injuries from happening but also prevents them from returning. Repeated injuries may affect your performance and gameplay. So, invest in the best ankle support for your needs.
Play hard without worrying about ankle pain and injuries today!