Toe socks are one of those things you discover because your odd friend chose to wear them with a pair of sandals. Like Crocs, they look awkward and weird but are incredibly comfortable to wear. Sometimes, we can be too quick to judge when it comes to footwear. Looks can be deceiving, don't you agree?
Don't let their awkward appearance fool you because toe socks have enjoyed widespread use in recent years, from athletic activities to space exploration! The mitten-looking socks reached the stars when it was worn by astronaut Sandra Magnus while in outer space.
Read more about toes socks and the best ones you can buy online!
How Was the Toe Sock Invented?
In 1969, a woman from Pennsylvania named Ethel Russell filed a copyright for the toe socks. In the documents, the toe socks were called "mitten toe socks" and "glove socks," owing to their appearance and design. They're literally like mittens and gloves for the feet. Unfortunately, she failed to secure exclusive rights to manufacture them but remains to be credited as its inventor.
In the following year since Ethel Russel filed her copyright, the first pair of toe socks entered the market. They remained a novelty item up until the 1990s. Most people who used them were little girls who needed extra warmth during the colder seasons. When astronaut Sandra Magnus took a pair and wore them on the International Space Station, they grew in popularity.
Since then, various designs have spread over the market, catering to specific needs. For instance, toes compression socks aim to resolve foot conditions such as blisters and bunions and improve foot health.
What Are the Best Toe Socks I Can Buy Right Now?
Caidienu Five-Finger Running Socks
- Can be bought online from Amazon for $19.99
- Made of soft and superior quality cotton
- Elasticity makes them a good fit for most people
- Comes in small, medium-small, and medium sizes
- Cotton material allows breathability, which cools down your feet
- Durable stitching makes them adequate for athletic and outdoor activities
- Available in classic pattern design and striped patterns
Based on multiple customer reviews, customers found that the elastic properties of these socks make them suitable for a wide range of shoe sizes. Thanks to its breathable material, the Caidienu Five-Finger Running Socks reduce the foul odor from sweaty feet. The same material lets you wear these toe socks in extreme settings and outdoor activities such as sports and hiking.
Some customers found the toes of the socks too small, making them a bad fit for their feet. On a related note, people with wider feet than average may also find these socks too narrow. While the manufacturer markets them as being made of cotton, these toe socks reek of plastic, which makes customers doubt their claims.
Aonijie High-Performance Running Toe Socks
- Can be bought online from Amazon for $24.99
- Made of a combination of different textile materials: nuwool, nylon, and lycra
- Synthetic materials contain moisture-wicking, cooling, and odor-free properties
- Comes in the following shoe sizes: small (US 4-7), medium (US 7-11), large (US 11-13)
- Can be worn by men and women as it exhibits a unisex design
- Comes in both classic dark colors and fun colors like bright yellow, neon cyan, and hot pink
- Ultra-durable due to 200-knit technology used in its manufacturing process
The Aonijie High-Performance Running Toe Socks can deliver comfort effectively, resulting in many customers remarking how comfortable they are. Some customers with cramps report being relieved of the pain from the foot condition. If you have tight shoes, the toe socks don't add much to your foot size, so you don't have to worry about sizing and comfort.
Few customers complain about the quality of the material. They say that it feels cheap and easy to break. People with longer toes will find the toe pockets too short, leaving them with an ill-fitting pair of toe socks and an uncomfortable experience. Customers who wore these toe socks during a run found the moisture-wicking properties of the socks to be very lacking as they ended up with feet soaked in sweat.
Zakasa Women’s Novelty Foot Toe Socks
- Can be bought online from Amazon for $17.99
- Made from a mixture of natural and synthetic materials: cotton and spandex
- Mostly made from cotton, these socks are super soft and breathable
- The synthetic spandex material lends moisture-wicking capabilities to these socks
- Designed to let your toes be comfortable in their natural splay or positions
- Comes in a one-size-fits-all sizing option, perfect for women’s shoe size US 6-9
- Available in various designs and patterns like plain colored stripes, polka dots, and cute dogs and cats
If you're out to have some fun, a pair of Zakasa Women’s Novelty Socks will be perfect for you. They come in different colors and designs, complementing any odd and attention-grabbing outfit you’re planning to sport. There are design patterns with stripes and polka dots. If you are a pet-lover, you will surely love their cat and dog-themed designs.
One of the most frequent complaints from customers is about how bad they fit their toes. People with toes larger than the average size had to squeeze their toes in to make them reach the tip of the toe pockets. It might be a bad idea if you're thinking of wearing these toes socks for running, as they might easily tear under pressure.
Despite their unusual appearance, toe socks deliver greater comfort and flexibility for your feet. Unlike regular socks, they feel less constrained, giving you more control over your toes. Sitch your old socks and get comfortable with any of these toe socks today!
Check out the rest of our blog for more toe product reviews!